Apply for Services

Applications are accepted year-round.

Rebuilding Together East Bay-North currently only serves residents of the cities of Berkeley, Emeryville, Albany and Richmond.

Please review our eligibility requirements before submitting your application. If you’re a facility representative applying for our Community Facility Improvement program, please scroll down to “Application” and click the download link.


To qualify for free home repairs, you must be income qualified and at least one of the following:

  • Senior (62+) 
  • Disabled (with documentation from your doctor)
  • Veteran (with proper identification)

To be considered income qualified, you must meet the following criteria:


To apply for our Safe at Home or Community Facility Improvement program, click the appropriate button below to download a printable PDF version of the application. Completed applications can be delivered in person or mailed to our office at 732 Gilman Street Berkeley, CA 94710.

If you have any questions or require assistance filling out your application and/or obtaining supporting documents, please contact us by phone at (510) 644-8979 or send us an email at

Homeowners Application

Community Facility Application

Next Steps

Once you download your application, someone from the office will be in contact with you within 7-10 business days.

Please make sure you included all your supporting documents with your application – any delay in document submission will extend the wait period until your application review is complete.

The supporting document checklist can be found below for your review:

  • Current ID (driver's license or state issued ID)
  • Disability verification letter if applicable
  • Veteran status letter if applicable
  • Current income verification such as retirement, pension, social security income, etc
  • Bank statements (2 most recent)
  • Tax return (most recent year filed - if you do not file, provide a dated signature stating you do not file)
  • Proof of home ownership such as deed or title (we can check with the Assessor's office for you if you do not have a copy)
  • Receipt for paid property tax (must be current - we can check with the city if you do not have a copy)
  • Verification of current Homeowner's Insurance